Redlands Footlighters will hold open auditions for Rick Abbot’s Play On!, directed by Chris Diehl, on November 11 and 12 at 7 pm at the theater, located at 1810 Barton Road, in Redlands.
Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script. Resume and headshot are recommended but not required. Rehearsals will be Monday through Thursday 7-9:30 pm starting November 13. There will be no rehearsals on holidays (and the entire week of Christmas). Performances will be January 9-26, 2014.
Play On! is the hilarious story of a theater group trying desperately to put on a play in spite of maddening interference from a haughty author who keeps revising the script. Act I is a rehearsal of the dreadful show, Act II is the near disastrous dress rehearsal, and the final act is the actual performance where anything that can go wrong does!
Character Breakdown (3 males, 7 females):
- Aggie Manville (20’s-40’s): The capable but pessimistic stage manager
- Gerry Dunbar (30’s-50’s): The often exasperated director
- Henry Benish (50’s-60’s): A character actor, plays “Lord Dudley”
- Polly Benish (50’s-60’s): Married to Henry, plays “Lady Margaret”
- Marla “Smitty” Smith (late teens-early 20’s): Inexperienced high school actress, plays “Doris the Maid”
- Saul Watson (30’s-40’s): Actor who can’t resist a wisecrack, plays “Dr. Forbes” – the villain
- Billy Carewe (mid-late 20’s): Spirited young actor, plays “Stephen Sellers”
- Violet Imbry (20’s): The not-too-bright ingenue, plays “Diana Lassiter”
- Louise Peary (20’s-40’s): The sad-faced sound, lighting and scenic technician
- Phyllis Montague (40’s-60’s): The novice, inept author of Murder Most Foul